Until recently MD’s scoffed at patients claiming chronic pain conditions. Presently the American College of Rheumatology recognizes fibromyalgia as a genuine diagnosis.
This disorder affects some 4 million Americans according to the CDC. Though the cause is ‘unknown’ many researchers believe the condition is associated with the central nervous system.
, fibromyalgia patients may have widespread inflammation in their brains. Researchers used advanced imaging and found more inflammation in the immune cells of the brain – the
– for fibromyalgia patients.
- If your PI patients tell you they suffer from fibromyalgia, consider this a big deal.
- Find out who the doctor was that made the diagnosis and what treatment the patient is receiving.
- Contact that doctor to learn more information - i.e. how serious the condition is. You may be recruiting a very important partner to help your patient and the PI case.
- Collaborating with a good MD is a value driver.
- If your exam shows a major aggravation of the fibromyalgia condition and you and the MD plan a special treatment program then this case could have significant value.